Re: Can you copy a long raw field in PLSQL?

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_dlsun338.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/19

In article <31EF021D.367A_at_deakin.edu.au>, Les Phillips <lesp_at_deakin.edu.au> writes:
|> I would like to copy a record containing a long raw field.
|> The field holds a word document inserted via OLE functionality
|> within Forms 4.5.
|>
|> I would like to perform this within a stored procedure.
|> You can create a variable of long raw in PLSQL but the data
|> will be truncated if over a certain length.

This length is 32K. This is the maximum length of a PL/SQL LONG RAW.

|> Is there a solution as to how I may achieve this?

Not really. There isn't any way around this limit. I find that the easiest way to manipulate long raw data is with Pro*C or OCI. Another alternative is to insert the data into different rows, each of which is less than 32K. You would then have to re-assemble them when you fetch it, though.

|> Thanks in advance,
|>
|> Les.

Scott Urman Oracle Corporation surman_at_us.oracle.com

Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2 Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm

"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of  Oracle Corporation"