Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_daytonoh.ncr.com>
Date: 1996/07/19

Welcome to the wonderful world of ORACLE installation and support. It's what keeps a lot of us in business and at good salary levels!!!

You should have been around when the installs and documentation were really bad. Now at least things almost work most of the time.

In all seriousness, after you get several installs under your belt you can almost guess and anticipate what ORACLE really wants for an install - not what the manuals say. :o))

Jim Gregory

>==========Richard Lloyd, 7/18/96==========
>
>I got lumbered with installing an Oracle server and clients
>(Developer/2000)
>on our HP-UX systems here and I'm amazed at the incredibly poor
>documentation
>and general installation procedure, which includes:
>
><<<<< snip >>>>>>

>So am I alone in the universe in actually installing Oracle all
>on my own ?
>Do other sites call in an Oracle engineer at great expense to
>install it ?
>
>Either way, Oracle looks like one humungously bloated piece of
>software that
>I'm dreading to think how much RAM I'll eventually need for it.
>What's even
>worse is that I have to support a mixed 9.X/10.X environment
 (10.X server
>and virtually all 9.X client machines), which is another
>nightmare to think
>about.
>
>Richard K. Lloyd, E-mail: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk
>Connect, WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/users/rkl/
>5-31, Great Newton St,
>Liverpool University,
>Merseyside, UK. L69 3BX

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect those of my company or clients. Received on Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message