Re: ORA-01562 & ORA-01547 ERRORS

From: Ken Mizuta <kmizuta_at_jp.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/15

Mike Stenzler wrote:

> new to oracle dba duties....
>
> while attempting a global delete of approx. 107,000 rows from a table
> I keep encountering the errors listed in the subject line.
>
> 01562 hints that there may be a databse space problem
> 01547 is not in my server error message reference!
>
> I was able to perform my delete by changing the where clause &
> deleteing smaller (much!) groups of rows at a time.
>
> Any ideas? If you need more detailed info let me know.
>
> TIA - mike
>
> mstenzler_at_rxr.com
> rxrgroup_at_mail.idt.net

When you delete 107,000 rows from a table it trys to write those 107,000 rows into the rollback segment. ORA-1562 is mentioning space problems with the rollback segment. If this is something that you don't do very often, then my suggestion would be to create a large rollback segment which you make active only when you need it. You can assign a session a rollback segment by alter session use rollback ....;
If it is something that you do quite frequently, then you may need to rethink the rollback segment sizes.

                 /    Kenichi Mizuta
      ////      /     Oracle Corporation (Redwood Shores, CA)
     |0 0|     /      Applications Division
_ooO_ \U/_Ooo_/       email: kmizuta_at_us.oracle.com
The comments and opinions expressed herein are mine and
do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.