Re: ER Diagram Tools?

From: Lana Mountford <lmountford_at_baynetworks.com>
Date: 1996/07/15

Walt Egan wrote:

> Hello, does anyone have any suggestions for an ER diagram tool? I am
> currently considering using ERWIN. Has anyone used this tool?

I've used both ERWIN and its "mainframe" grand-daddy, IDEF Leverage (I think it's still called that -- DACOM product -- used to be ADAM, then JANUS, and last time I used it it was IDEF Leverage). ERWIN is a solid choice for ERD creation.

My "tool of choice," though, has to be Silverrun RDM. I started using it when it was called Consoi, back in 1987. It's been through a lot of changes since then, and is now owned by CSA. Not *too* expensive, really, and "understands" modeling implications (it does some semantic validation). Handles model reconciliation, has a pretty decent data dictionary, generates DDL, etc. We plan to use it in conjunction with Designer 2000 to manage our enterprise data model and architecture.

Feel free to email me if you need more info.

Cheers!

Lana Mountford
(lsmntfrd_at_ix.netcom.com)
(lmountford_at_baynetworks.com) Received on Mon Jul 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message