Re: pl/sql table

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_dlsun338.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/15

In article <4s7o0g$61g_at_nadine.teleport.com>, jingram_at_teleport.com (Jonathan W. Ingram) writes:
|> Before I could do anything about it, Ayokunle Giwa <akgiwa_at_cnct.com>
|> wrote:
|>
|> >Hi all,
|> > I'd really appreciate someone out there explaining to me the basics
|> >of a pl/sql table its uses and methods .........Thanx ....Ayokunle Giwa
|>
|> It's very simple. A PL/SQL table is like an array. The only
|> difference is that an array is actually useful :-) The only time I've
|> had opportunity to use PL/SQL tables, I had to use (and keep track of,
|> oh vey!) 2 dozen of them. As much as I like PL/SQL, it has a long way
|> to go when it comes to array-like processing.

PL/SQL 2.3 (Oracle 7.3) has enhanced PL/SQL tables significantly. New features include tables of records (that way you only need to keep track of one) and new functions that record the number of elements, next and previous element, etc.

|> Jonathan

Scott Urman Oracle Corporation surman_at_us.oracle.com

Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2 Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm

"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of  Oracle Corporation"