Oracle ODBC - Undesirable Response when LAN is down - Help !!

From: KIftik <kiftik_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/07/13

I am working on a mission critical application where a PC receives production data from a seembly line PLC's and updates it to a remote Oracle database.

The PC application is written in Visual Basic 3.0 and uses Oracle ODBC to acces an Oracle 7.1 database on a remote AIX machine.

The problem arrises when the LAN (I simulate this condition by disconnecting PC from LAN) goes down unexpectedly, and PC tries to update Oracle. It takes around a minute and thirty seconds for the ODBC to return an error. Subsequent calls to ODBC return error code in 2 or 3 seconds which is acceptable.

Does anyone has any clues or suggestion how the time for the initial access to Oracle can be reduced. Is this an ODBC problem or TCP/IP ?. Is there another ODBC that can solve this problem?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Received on Sat Jul 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message