Re: Year 2000

From: Paul Smith <psmith_at_sprynet.co.uk>
Date: 1996/07/13

> Ed Kulis <ekulis_at_hal.com> writes:
> Joanne Woytek wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if Oracle is or claims to be year 2000 compliant;
> > i.e. when the date is 01/01/00, will all Oracle provided programs
> > including internal system routines and application callable routines
> > function correctly?
> > --
> > Joanne Woytek
> > joanne_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov
> > Code 902
> > NASA/GSFC
> No problem at all. Oracle is good til 4017 AD I think. Oracle's
> internal date format is actual a Julian like date and time to the
> second. It's greate for the year 2000 but it causes problems and some
> extra work on comparisions because MYDATE1=MYDATE2 will not return true
> if they both aren't the same to the second. They look the same on the
> default dd-mmm-yy format but they are different. To see the difference
> you must use TO_CHAR(MYDATE1,'DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS') to see the entire
> date value.
> -ed
>
> -- Ed Kulis 408-341-5561 Hal Computer Systems
> -- Sr. Oracle DBA ekulis_at_hal.com Campbell, CA 95008
> -- I would like it to be known that all opinions that are shown
> -- are exclusively my own, on my own, all my own.

Try the trunc function. Trunc(date) returns the date, without the timestamp. Also, the date only has a time stamp if you give it one. You can set the time stramp by specifying it explicitly, or by usiong another date, like sysdate, that has a time stamp. Received on Sat Jul 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message