Re: Trace Facility

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/12

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996 23:54:01 GMT, jtdennis_at_atl.mindspring.com (John Dennis) wrote:

>Michael Cipriani <74211.1354_at_compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>>There is a product that usually comes with Oracle called TKPROF. This
>>utility is valuable in assisting in the interpretation of the traces.
>>You should be able to find help on this in the Oracle Server Manuals
>>--
>>Michael Cipriani
>
>This is mentioned in the Oracle Press book in 3-4 pages with no
>explaination of any of the columns from what I remember. No good
>there. I'm looking (for example) for an explaination of the
>difference between the "query" and "current" columns in the tkprof
>output. I've seen no documentation with and explaination of either.

QUERY: Total number of buffers retrieved in consistent mode for all parse, execute, or fetch calls. Buffers are usually retrieved in consistent mode for queries.

CURRENT: Total number of buffers retrieved in current mode. Buffers are often retrieved in current mode for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements.

The sum of query and current is the total number ofbuffers accessed.

From the Server Tuning Guide (Oracle Documentation).

>Thanks for the input,
>
>John Dennis
>

>John Dennis
>Tactics, Inc
>Atlanta, GA

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jul 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message