Re: which tool to implement this C-/S-Application?

From: Francisco Piragibe <piragibe_at_esquadro.com.br>
Date: 1996/07/11

> "Harald Mueller, TPMUL" <Harald.Mueller_at_ubs.ch> wrote in article
 <4rtlh0-3db_at_svstch.ubs.ch>...
> hi,
>
> Situation:
> ----------
> I've got to design an application which has a Client(Windows 3.1)
> and a Server (Unix, Oracle 7.2) part.
>

> Question:
> ---------
> 1. Is there a tool, which supports the whole design and implemetation
> of the GUI on the Client and the stored procedures and database
> on Server?
>
> 2. My i use VisualC++ for the Client or does it make sense to
> use OracleForms? for that part?

JoƩ

The whole of the recent client/ server tools can do what you want. Borland Delphi, Microsoft Visual basic, Oracle Power Objects or Developer/2000 can accomplish such tasks.

If I were you, I'd go for a BASIC based tool, either ORACLE Power Objects or Microsoft Visual Basic, but this is a rather personal view. Delphi is based on compiled Pascal, which offers you the most impressive performance. Pascal, however, is not widely used outside universities, as far as I know; Developer/2000, despite of its very powerful tools, is a rather proprietary environment, and I suspect ORACLE will gradually shift its mainstream development environment product line towards POWER OBJECTS (this product's new version, 2.0, offers entirely new capabilities, whereas Developer/2000 has received only minor adds over the past year).

All the same, you should be well off. There are plenty of choices nowadays.

--
Francisco C. P. de Almeida
consultant