Re: Web access to Oracle.

From: Alireza Assadzadeh <aassadza_at_doe.carleton.ca>
Date: 1996/07/10

Darin Brown wrote:

> Alireza Assadzadeh wrote:
> > Two of the options that I can think of are:
> >
> > 1 - get the oracle database extention for perl to interface with the
> > database.
> >
> > 2 - create your sql using perl, and make a 'system' call in perl to run
> > sqlplus.
>
> Better yet, get the Oracle WebServer option, which comes free with
> Oracle v7.3. This allows you to generate dynamic HTML via PL/SQL
> packages. It also provides a webserver listener (licensed from
> SpyGlass).

We are in fact using Oracle WebServer 1.0 and plan to switch to 2.0 shortly. There are performance and reliability arguments for using Oracle's product but I personally find that Oracle has been too slow getting their web products out in the market.

The security of their web server is also a major concern. Althought other web server products have provided API's for their listener to allow implentation of extensions to the basic HTTP, Oracle only has plans of providing these enhancements.

Using Oracle Web Sever and PL/SQL would have great advantages, only once Oracle enhances Designer 2000 and Developer 2000 to automatically create the necessary PL/SQL. I don't see Oracle putting this in place before the end of the year(maybe even next year).

Food for thought, which PL/SQL code would you uss ( the a's or b's)

	(1)
	a - htp.print('<TITLE>This is the title</TITLE>');
	b - htp.title('This is the title');

	(2)
	a - htp.print('<BR>');
	b - htp.br;

	(3)
	a - htp.print('<PRE>');
            htp.print('These are preformatted text');
            htp.print('</PRE>');

	b - htp.preOpen();
            htp.print('These are preformatted text');
            htp.preClose();

Meanwhile, have fun creating your web application using Oracle WebServer and debugging it using Oracle Procedure Builder.

Thank for all comments.

Best regards,

Alireza Received on Wed Jul 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message