Re: Auto-starting Oracle?

From: Tim Irvin <irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 1996/07/10

In article <DuBMx0.905_at_liverpool.ac.uk>, qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk (Ms. D.H. Harvey) wrote:

> David C Winters (winters+_at_pitt.edu) wrote:
> : I've been asked to help get Oracle 7.3.2 start up whenever the Un*x box
> : starts up. It's a SPARCstation 5 running Solaris 2.4.

> : The person who's been working on this has put the startup script into
> : /etc/rcS.d but he's said it won't work. He's able to source the script
> : as anyone who's a member of the group "dba", but root can't successfully
> : run the script. He's made root a member of the dba group as root's
> : secondary group, but that doesn't seem to be enough.
>
> Believe oracle software owner user has to start/stop databases. Look at
> using su command in your /etc/rcS.d script. May help with your problem
> below as well.
>
> Hope this helps. Helen

On HP-UX, for example, our Oracle server needs to run as the user "oracle" in order to start the databases. In /etc/rc (HP-UX 9.01), we have the following entry:

/bin/su - oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart"

Since "root" can assume the identity of any system user, this works well and eliminates the need to perform any trickery with users and groups. I'd imagine something similar (with perhaps slightly different syntax) should work in Solaris as well.

--
Tim Irvin, HP-UX Miracle Worker and Oracle Guy
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space, Sunnyvale, California