Re: Searching case-insensitively

From: Srinivasa Kunamneni <eleeb02_at_menudo.uh.edu>
Date: 1996/07/06

Simon Mercer (mercer_at_mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de) wrote:
: I have a problem which I wonder if anyone can help me with - I have the
: feeling the answer is quite simple.

: I have a table with two fields, 'ID' and 'name' with maybe 2 million
: records, and I want to conduct a search on the contents of the 'name'
: field. This field can contain any alphanumeric string, often with a
: mixture of upper and lower case characters. What is the best way to
: search this table case-insensitively?

: Two related issues which perhaps someone can also answer;

: Is there a SET option or similar switch to make case-insensitive
: searches the default?

: Does the construct 'WHERE UPPER(search_term) = UPPER(name);' prevent the
: search from using indices?

: Thanks for your time; if you answer please email me a copy, the number
: of messages on this group is too great for me to always spot replies.

: Simon

: --
: Dr. Simon Mercer
: The Reference Library Database
: +49 30 8413 1395 (fax)
mailto:mercer_at_mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de

yes, the use of functions on a data field ( except grouping functions) disable the use of indicies. Thats why it is better to force the data either upper case or lower case.( as far as , i know there is no alternative.)

I hope it helps...
Srini Kunamneni Received on Sat Jul 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message