Re: web and databases

From: Edward Branley <elendil_at_yatcom.com>
Date: 1996/07/05

In article <31D94510.4BD9_at_dsi.ing.unifi.it>, franco_at_dsi.ing.unifi.it says...
> Hi,

Hi.

> should contain administration and medical data. I think to use a DBMS
> among Microsoft SQL server, Oracle SQL server and Sybase SQL server.

Is there a specific reason you're going to use all three of these? On face value, that looks like triple trouble. :-)

> Which are pros and cons of such a solution ? Are there security
> problems ? Are there examples of this approach ?

The biggest advantage of using HTML as a user interface for a database application is that it's fairly easy to use. Take a look at Cold Fusion by Allaire (http://www.allaire.com). It's a product that lets you do HTML-like code to issue SQL queries to your database server(s) via ODBC. If you are definitely going to have to mix server types, this would be the simplest interface you could develop, since everything is ODBC.

The downside to using HTML is that all of the processing of SQL queries and such are done on the server side. This could cause performance problems, and doing something in Access or VB would definitely be an improvement. This is a judgement call you'll have to make.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Ed.

--
Edward J. Branley, elendil_at_yatcom.com
Yatcom Communications, New Orleans, LA +1.504.455.5087