Re: HELP: Auto commit with ODBC Oracle & MS ACCESS

From: Geoff Ingram <lsgvi02_at_chsrh1.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1996/07/03

Philippe GENSBITTEL wrote:
> Server:
> - Oracle 7
> - HPUX v10
> Clients:
> - MS Access v2.0
> - ODBC Oracle 7.1 driver
> - SQL*NET v2
> - Windows 3.11
>
> Our major problem may be known as "auto-commit". Any modification on the
> Access client is committed automatically on the Oracle server. What could be
> the best way to disable this behaviour ?
> We would like to implement a "user commit", and we did not find any parameter
> or API available to offer such a functionality. I heard ODBC layer could done
> this. Where can I find documentation about this topic ?

Philippe,
Some more info. The relevant ODBC call is SQLSetConnectOption. You can use this to turn off AUTOCOMMIT. VB provides a BeginTrans method which calls SQLSetConnectOption for you, to turn off AUTOCOMMIT.
In Access I dont know how you could do this. The Access ODBC add-in doesnt appear to provide this.
You could call SQLSetConnectOption directly but that requires the connection handle as an argument and AFAIK that isnt available to Access.

My ODBC Developers Kit and docs came with MSVC++.

Please post if you find out how to do this.

Geoff Ingram

--
All my own personal opinions