Rollbacks and disk block utilization

From: Matthew Marek <mmarek_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: 1996/07/02

I have a straightforward question: "What is ORACLE's policy regarding how a rollback statement affects disk block utilization? In other words, if I rollback a transaction that performed several inserts and updates on a table, is the disk space used by those inserts and updates returned for use by future transactions?"

I posed this question to my our Oracle support representative and did not receive an answer. I have an application in which a rollback does not appear to be freeing up disk space. The Oracle engineers have requested that I send them a code sample, which I plan to put together. I will be steamed if they say, "well, of course, rollbacks don't *always* return disk space", because that's what I wanted to know in the first place.

Anyone out there with experience and answers to the question above? Received on Tue Jul 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message