Re: Differences between the Microsoft and the Oracle SQL server

From: Povl H. Pedersen <pope_at_netguide.dk>
Date: 1996/07/02

In article <31CDA700.1589_at_ns.net>, summit_at_ns.net wrote:

:Oracle is more difficult to learn that much is true. MS SQL Server 6.5
:is a great product. I prefer it. Look down the road a bit. If your
:using windows NT why not use MS SQL Server, there both made by
:microsoft, and that is a big plus.

I wonder why people keep saying that.

People should not volunteer to run Microsoft products. It is something you do because you have to. I say that of experience. I am a MS basher, but I am also about to be a MS certified personel.

My brief experience (simple project at dept of CS) with Oracle says that it looks good, and there is lots of tools for generating front-ends.

If the MS SQL is just half as buggy, and has only half the 'features' you usually find in MS products, then stay away from it.

:Some say that MS SQL Server doesn't
:support row record locking. That accually makes the whole database
:slower anyway, but 6.5 does have a for of it. I recommend MS SQL
:Server.

And if he gets an NT server, it is because he does not want performance anyway. NT is one of the worst performers I have seen, and generally unstable (can you say spontaneous reboot on COPY FILE.PS /B LPT1:) and outdated (PostScript level 2 is impossible to send through the print server (from Mac and PC))

We run NT because we run some simple apps that needs to run under Windows. But we like Linux more and more, snd there is a great free database called Postgres95 available for it.

PS: We are about to get an AIX server because of good Linux experience, and for crucial data we want something like that.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - pope_at_edunet.dk
Macintosh / Unix / Win (aaargghh) programmer -  System Administrator