Re: Anyone have experience with Oracle 7.1, VB 4.0 and Remote Data Objects (RDO)?

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1996/07/01

"Brian M. Biggs" <bbiggs_at_cincom.com> wrote:

>We are investigating using Remote Data Objects in VB 4.0 versus the
>standard Data Access Objects (DAO) to access an Oracle 7.1 database
>running on HP-UX. I am the DBA, not the VB programmer, but it sounds to
>me like RDO is just a fancy term for "let Oracle process the query
>instead of the crazy Jet engine". Is this accurate?

>Anyway, our programmers are getting an error message from the
>Windows 95 Oracle72 ODBC driver from Oracle Corp. saying that this
>feature is not supported in the driver. Any clues? Does anyone have
>any experience with RDO and Oracle?

>Thanks,
>Brian

>--
>Brian M. Biggs mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
>Cincom Systems, Inc. voice: (513) 677-7661
>http://www.cincom.com/

Brian,

The Oracle ODBC drivers do not work with RDO, something the do with the ODBC compliance level. The Visigenic driver that comes with VB as well as Intersolv's ODBC driver do work, although you nay have problems with stored procedures. There is a version 2 of the Visigenic driver on Microsoft's FTP site that is supposed to work with stored procedures. Also, try to get the VB 4.0a patch as it seems to fix a couple of RDO bugs.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_iac.net