Re: GUI Migration question

From: Nathan Stiltner <nstiltne_at_bdm.com>
Date: 1996/06/27

penner_at_i2020.net (Jeff & Amy Penner) wrote:
>Because Oracle 7.3 doesn't support Forms 3.0, we're going to have to
>upgrade to another tool. We're looking at Powerbuilder and Forms 4.5.
>We'll probably need to do it rather quickly, so one of the issues is
>time to convert. Has anyone else done anything like this? I'd like
>to get some information on good GUI tools to move to, as well as
>problems you might have had in converting. Please E-Mail me at
>penner_at_i2020.net. Thanks for you help!!

System R has been developing a tool to convert from SQL*Form 3.0 to Powerbuilder 4.0. I've been testing this tool and I think it would aid in your conversion if you choose to go to Powerbuilder. In comparing between PowerBuilder and Developer/2000, in my own personal opinion, PowerBuilder is more versatile in GUI manipulations and good enough to do most database manipulations to get the job done. Developer/2000 main strength is its tie to the Oracle database. But in trying to maintain backward compatibility with character-based screens, Unix X-windows, etc., they limit their GUI capabilities at least for MS-Windows interface.

System R's web page is at http://www.wco.com/~systemr/

HTH Nathan Stiltner

All opinions expressed are mine and don't reflect the view of my employer.