ORACLE Hot Backups and Recovery

From: G.K.Subramanian <gks_at_mailbag.com>
Date: 1996/06/25

Hi,

We are planning to implement ORACLE Hot backups at our site. It works fine. Backup process does not seem to have a problem. We used 'cpio' and later switched to 'omnib' a command line Omniback utility, for the UNIX part of the backups.

The problem we have is while restoring the files. The ORACLE data files that we backup everyday using hot backups add up to 6GB. It is not possible to allocate the amount of disk space as a file system. So, the backup script writes the files on to the tape device directly, one at a time. And I guess this seems to be the problem. I am assuming that this is the only way to write the files.

As a result of this, the restore process takes a very long time. The tape device has to rewind everytime, since it uses a separate 'cpio' command for each file that is backed up. This is against the process where you would have all the files in a single directory and back it up.

Is there a better way of doing this ?. Is this the limitation of the backup process. I have the same problem while restoring the ORACLE files using OMNIBACK.

I appreciate any leads to resolve the problem.

Config : HP 9000 / 10.01 /ORACLE 7.X

tia.

GK Subrahmanian

Foremost Farms USA

gks_at_mailbag.com Received on Tue Jun 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message