Re: Forms Character Mode

From: Mohan Vijay <ou90764_at_deere.com>
Date: 1996/06/20

Michael Kustermann wrote:

> I am interested in running a form designed in a Windows environment
> and then running in character mode in a Unix environment.
>
> If anyone would like to share their experiences and has any advice
> on how to implement this functionality, I would appreciate it.
>
> Michael Kustermann

I had developed an application suited for both char.mode and motif sometime ago. This was done to help users who log on to unix boxes using modems and try to run form 4.5 application and well as for those who can connect from Xterm or telnet as well.Its not difficult. All I did was use 'character' as the coordinate system(forms properties) while developing the application. I also created a table to store different keyboard mapping details to emulate vt100,sun etc.Refer to USER_INTERFACE in Get_application_Property. I used this to determine if the form is in charmode or motif while opening the application and then set the properties accordingly. Then depending on this I either displayed the buttons or the keyboard mapping details(eg:F1-Query,F2-Save ...).

There might be other better ways of doing as well. This worked ok for the project at that time.

Hope this helps!!

If u need more info. pls. let me know. I'll start hunting for it then !

Mohan
DBA, John Deere,
Moline IL

Email : ou90764_at_deere.com