Re: Long to varchar2?

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/13

In article <4ppgnr$fij_at_rzsun02.rrz.uni-hamburg.de>, 3bohlman_at_rzdspc5.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Holger Bohlmann) writes:
|> Hello,
|>
|> is there anybody out there, who knows, how I can convert a
|> LONG-Value in a VARCHAR2-Value (in Oracle?). Is it possible
|> to do that?
|>
|> Holger Bohlmann

First of all, the LONG would have to be less than 2000 characters, since that is the maximum length of a VARCHAR2. The best bet would be to use PL/SQL. Something like:

DECLARE
  v_LongVal LONG;
  v_VarcharVal VARCHAR2(2000);
BEGIN
  SELECT ...
    INTO v_LongVal
    FROM ...;
  v_VarcharVal := vLongVal;
  INSERT INTO ... VALUES (..., v_VarcharVal); END; Or you can just select into the VARCHAR variable directly from the LONG column, which will do the conversion implicitly.

Scott Urman            Oracle Corporation           surman_at_us.oracle.com
Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2
Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
 Oracle Corporation"