Re: How to handle deadlocks ?

From: Joe Lumbley <jlumbley_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

Joachim Achtzehnter (joachim_at_softouch.bc.ca) wrote: : bgw_at_world.std.com (Bruce G Wilson) wrote:

sybase seems to have more of a deadlock problem than Informix. I believe it is because they lack row-level locking. I've seen deadlocks occur even though the transactions are short and the locking order is the same. In sybase, these locks seem to be page 0 locks (whatever that is).

My solution in all databases is to include retry code in either the error-handling routines or in-line, following attempts at updates. Check for 1205 error in Sybase...if you see 1205, retry the update. Informix has a couple of error codes (453 maybe?) that indicate deadlock conditions.

Joe

Joe Lumbley(jlumbley_at_netcom.com)