Re: Oracle Schema's

From: Steve Long <answers_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/10

In <4pf245$hjv_at_news1.Belgium.EU.net> Kristiaan Boschman <Kristiaan.Boschman_at_ping.be> writes:

>Is it recommended to use schema's for differnt business areas or is it

>better to use one owner (or very) few owners for the whole database ?
>
>I assume in the latter case you have to create a lot of synonyms ?

This somewhat depends on the environment, purpose, and goals of your database. As a rule, application databases are in seperate schemas as well as separate tablespaces. If your applications follow business areas, it would be reasonable to have a seperate schema for each area. You may have multiple applications within a given business area, so it is not clear that the business area itself is the criteria for the schemas. Data warehousing has a different criteria altogether.

Synonyms provide location transparency of database objects and should be used regardless of schema architecure. A simple rule to follow is use an application or domain specific prefix for all synonyms.

If you need more assistance, let us know.

Steve
804-262-6332 Received on Mon Jun 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message