Re: Database password

From: James A. Mumper <jamumper_at_ptes.com>
Date: 1996/06/10

Mirwais Qader wrote:

> In article <31B83F64.5A51_at_ptes.com>, jamumper_at_ptes.com says...

First, Mirwais, please ensure that, if you include the line that shows that I said something, please include what I said (or at least some of it).

> >peter_blakemore-1 wrote:
> >>
> >> How do you find and change the Database paswsord using sqldba
>
> You can also change the password with:
>
> ALTER USER <USER> IDENTIFIED BY <NEWPASSWORD>
>
> EX. ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY SYSTEMPASS
Second, as I pointed out in my email to you, this option would not work and is incorrect. Peter does not know the database password, by which I assume he means he cannot connect 'internal'. I am also assuming that he cannot connect as SYSTEM either. Without the ability to connect as either SYS (internal) or SYSTEM, he cannot issue an alter user command since he doesn't have the proper authority. The incorrectness comes in your example - the correct account that Peter wishes to change the password for is SYS, not SYSTEM.

--
James A. Mumper
Senior Oracle DBA