Stack overflow ?

From: Lorrence Scott Mahaffy <alergen_at_connectnet.com>
Date: 1996/06/08

Help!

        I am currently trying to evaluate Oracle (Personal 7) as a RDMS upgrade to my company's MS Access database. I "purchased" the 90-day trial CD-ROM version (4.1) of Oracle products to test at home.

        I would like to evaluate Personal Oracle 7 but I continually receive "Stack overflow" errors when I try to startup a database. Some times this occurs when the Database Manager tries to open a database and other times it occurs when I try using Object Manager. When I receive the stack error while trying to open the Database Manager, the further message reads;

                "ORA-09370: Windows 3.1 two-task driver
                 Oracle task timed out"
        Apparently stack errors are a common problem as Oracle offers many troubleshooting tips
to correct this. So far these tips have been unsuccessful. I have little knowledge about troubleshooting stack problems.

        It seems like we (my company) might go with this product if we can get it to run. Can anyone help me?

What I have:

133 MHz pentium
Endeavor motherboard with 64 Mb DRAM, 256 Kb pipeline cache built-in Vibra16S audio chip (and SoundBlaster software) Number 9 Imagine 128 video card
QEMM memory management
MS Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups)
Mouse = Proagio from Mouse Systems

What I have tried:

Looked for MS Sound System 2.0; not found; (downloaded sevnto22.exe just in case) Made sure I had at least 512K con. RAM free; (QEMM gives me well over this) I "know" I have enough RAM
SMARTDRV.EXE has the /X switch set
Excluded the memory area that my video card and driver use from memory management Ran without unnecessary drivers loaded
and changed to STACKS=16,256
Made similar changes to system.ini

None of these settings or procedures seemed to work. Without dialing up tech-support and paying an arm and leg, has anyone solved this problem with their systems? Are there incompatible drivers that I should lookout for? Is there an on-line forum where someone can direct me that might be more appropriate? Am I SOL? I would have thought that a well known and respected company such as Oracle would have these problems fixed/solved or at least documented.

Any help would be appreciated! Received on Sat Jun 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message