Re: PL/SQL and Unix flat files

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/07

In article <4p5ft0$2o4_at_nntp.interaccess.com>, rtb_at_interaccess.com (Richard Bergdahl) writes:
|> Can PL/SQL read a unix flat file as input? I'm thinking of writing a
|> procedure to read in a flat file and update/insert it's contents to a table
|> after doing a little string manipulation on each record read. Normally I
|> would use Pro*C to do this, but the client seems to have a little C-phobia.
|>
|> Is this possible with PL/SQL?
|>
|> Rich
PL/SQL doesn't have any file I/O until version 2.3 (with Oracle 7.3). This version includes the UTL_FILE package, which allows you to read and write from operating system files on the server. But Developer 2000 (client side PL/SQL provides a TEXT_IO package to read and write from operating system files on the client.

Scott Urman            Oracle Corporation           surman_at_us.oracle.com
Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2
Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
 Oracle Corporation"