sql*net on lan or local drive?

From: Blair Wheadon <wheadonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/06/04

We are preparing to roll out a Forms 4.0 app to about 40 users, and would like some ideas on how similar apps are configured in your shop.

Infrastructure:
Netware 3.11
Win 3.1
16MB Pentiums on the desktop
Novell TCP/IP stack
10Mbps ethernet to the desktop
Forms 4.0

The .fmx files will be located on a network drive, and the question we are struggling with is where to put sql*net and the runform executable: local drive or network drive?

With the software on the network drive opening new forms takes about 2-5 seconds, while on local drive takes 1-2 seconds. GPFs are more common using the network drive setup, although I don't have specific stats to back me up.

Supportability of software on the desktop is a big concern with rolling this out on the local drive.

A related issue is that the application requires a 'LOCAL=' line in oracle.ini. Does this require a manual change to the oracle.ini file whenever one wants to connect to a different database? wishes to connect to. Regardless, we will be asking the vendor to update their app to function without a 'LOCAL=' line.

Your comments are appreciated.

Blair Wheadon
wheadonb_at_cadvision.com
wheadon_at_shell.ca Received on Tue Jun 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message