Re: Delphi 2/Win95 & Oracle 7.2 on WinNT Connections

From: Donal Daly <ddaly_at_ie.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/04

Andrew C. Moll wrote:

I don't use delphi myself, below are some observations from helping a partner get this to work.

> I have Delphi Developer 2.0, PO7 for Win95, SQL*Net 2.2, and Oracle's ODBC
> for Win95. The software is all on one machine. I have not been able to
> get Borland's BDE to connect to my PO7. I have been able to get VB4
> Professional Edition to connect (on the same machine), so I know my setup
> through the ODBC driver is OK. From BDE I get the message "General SQL
> Error" and "Information Type out of range" whatever that means. I have
> called Borland's installation help line twice and have not gotten somebody
> to spend time on the problem. I don't want to spend more money on
> long-distance calls or an incidence report! Could somebody please help?

It is all an issue how you configure the SQLLink (?) driver for Oracle, In the above case you should ensure that the PATH is C:\orawin95\bin, the DLL should be ora72.dll, and for server you should specify 2:

> salezn_at_mail.kdcol.com wrote:
> : There seems to be a mystery on connecting Borland's Delphi 2 on Win95
> : to a Server with Oracle 7.2 on NT. Borland doesn't exactly admit/name
> : what their native database driver is looking for, and Oracle changes
> : the DLLs with their own product line each new version. The default in
> : Borland is to expect ORA71NT.DLL, but there are SQLNet and RSF files
> : with Oracle 7 for Win 95, and they may be the solution.

> : Does anyone know which Oracle DLLs are really required, and where they
> : should be located on the client (ORAWIN/BIN or ORAWIN95/BIN)??

> : Please reply on the newsgroup or E-mail to salezn_at_mail.kdcol.com

First of all, you should setup a SQL*Net V2 alias to the NT server (you can use SQL*NEt easy config for this) and ensure that you can connect. The required DLL should be ora72.dll, makesure the path is setup correct (see above). If there is an entry for Networking Protocol at the Oracle Driver config level, this should be blank if you use a SQL*Net V2 alias. Specify the alias you have created at the appropriate place.

hope this helps.....

--
Donal Daly, (ddaly_at_ie.oracle.com)
Design and Migration Services, Oracle Corporation

Any opinions expressed above are my own!