Re: checkpoint not complete

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/06/03

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> What happens when the database tries to do a log switch and encounters
> a "Checkpoint no complete" error. Does it wait for the checkpoint to
> complete before switching to the next log? If so does this mean that
> all sessions that're changing the database freeze until the checkpoint
> completes?

Yes and Yes. You don't want that to happen. Eventually you will see a notation in the log that the checkpoint finished and the thread switched to the next log.

> I get this error frequently on a data warehouse when doing it's
> monthly update. I'm using 4 online redo log groups (2 files per group)
> each 1m in length, and noarchivelog mode. Would adding another log or
> changing the size of the logs help?

Bad news if it is 'frequently'. Even if just for the monthly update. You may need to do one or all of the below:

  1. set CHECKPOINT_PROCESS = TRUE in your initSID.ora file.
  2. Well, you won't need these but for those who DO use ARCHIVING
    • Adjust size of LOG_ARCHIVE_BUFFER_SIZE
    • Adjust number of LOG_ARCHIVE_BUFFERS So that archiving doesn't impede checkpointing.
  3. Increase size of redo files (I use 5M)
  4. Increase frequency of checkpointing within a redo file Decrease LOG_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL (O/S blocks not ORACLE blocks)
  5. Increase number of redo file groups (like you, I use 4 but you might need 5 or 6).
| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Mon Jun 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message