Re: *** Help Oracle -> C ++ or Visual Basic 4.0

From: <richu_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/06/01

In article <31AF7D92.701C_at_csc.com> Charles Walker <cwalker_at_csc.com> writes:
>Andrew McElhinny wrote:
>> I am trying to integrate a bunch of COTs products and one of
>> my tasks is to get data down from an oracle server and dump it
>> into another system. The only way I can get the data into that
>> other system is either with MicroSoft's Visual Basic or Visual
>> C ++. Has anyone out there worked with oracle and either of
>> the above mentioned programming languages. I just need to
>> fiure out the easiest way to do this. If you have done this or
>> something similar and dont mind being asked a few questions
>> could you please e-mail me at aom_at_icf.hrb.com. Thanks in
>> advance, --- Andy
>VB and VC++ will both need ODBC to communicate with Oracle so the amount of
>DB related code will be about the same.

Well, actually, if you use VC++ and know C, you could essentially use the ODBC APIs themselves which are rather fast. At the same time, VB can use RDO(remote data objects in version4) which are thin over ODBC should also be fast. OO4O allows VB to use OCIs which are also fast!...Frankly, since the bottleneck for anything in client-server is usually the network, the slight speed differences between these development platforms may be moot to begin with... at which rate, I'd go with FORMS 4.5 or POWERBUILDER..which also is BTW now compiled and should be fast!..beware of GPFs

R! Received on Sat Jun 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message