Re: Form configuration mgmt size

From: Dave Simson <dsimson_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/30

Stephen Pushak wrote:

> How are people handling configuration management issues for
> forms? If you use the tools which convert forms into the
> text format, a trivial change can introduce large deltas
> into the CM system. Is there a way to minimize these deltas?
>
> Steve Pushak - spush_at_hcsd.hac.com - Vancouver, BC, Canada
> Andrew Batory -abato_at_hcsd.hac.com - Vancouver, BC, Canada

In a word, No.

If size taken by the SC system is of concern, and if the SC system supports binary files, the best solution might be to compress the binary file and store that, with a "don't use deltas" flag in the SC system. Of course, our own SC interface (to PVCS and others) converts to ASCII first - we were concerned with supporting systems that require ASCII and/or are diff-storage-based.

Dave Received on Thu May 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message