Re: Designer2000 - Sub-type implementation

From: Gary Wong <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1996/05/30

Hi,

Try it again, but include *only* the supertype (TABLE1) in the run set. This should create one table, with the discriminator column. The discriminator column will also have 'allowable values' which are derived from the short names for the two sub-type entities (i.e. the short names for TYPE1 and TYPE2).

Post again if this doesn't work.

Gary Wong
Systems By Design Inc.
Victoria, BC Canada
InterNet: gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca
Voice : (604) 360-1699
Fax : (604) 384-1178

> "A. Fischer" <afischer_at_ea.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am experimenting with DDL generation from ERDs using Designer2000. I am trying to have the DDL Generator
> generate a create table statement that includes a 'discriminator column' for use in determining sub-types. My
> scenario is very simple:
>
> I have one entity (called TABLE1) with two sub-types (TYPE1 and TYPE2). I have an ERD reflecting this. In
> the 'table mapping' part of the DB DEsign Wizard, I have mapped as follows:
>
> TABLE1 No Mapping
> --TYPE1 Include
> --TYPE2 Include
>
> (And of course, I include all these in my 'run set'.) According to Oracle docs, this mapping should result in
> TABLE1 having a discriminator column called (something like) 'TYPE'. Instead, it creates three 'create table'
> statements, one for TABLE1 and one each for TYPE1 and TYPE2.
< Snip > Received on Thu May 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message