Re: RBS: Optimal ?

From: Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com>
Date: 1996/05/28

NORHISHAM BIN MAIN wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need some help here. Can someone explain to me what does the OPTIMAL
> feature for rollback segments does ?
>
> In my Oracle 6 databases, we have a script to manually drop all
> rollback segments and recreate them whenever we start the database. With
> this OPTIMAL feature on Oracle7, does this mean we can skip this step?
>
> Would appreciate any pointers very much.
>
> rgds,
> mars_at_pobox.org.sg

In Oracle7, rollback segments grow when used and shrink when no longer needed. The rollback segment will shrink down to whatever OPTIMAL is set to. You don't need to specify it, but if you don't, Oracle will set it to some ridiculously small value.

Jason Wells                 Tapestry Computing, Inc.       Voice: 314.344.0066
Senior Software Developer   Email:jason.wells_at_tapestry.com   Fax: 314.344.0990