Re: TWO_TASK env var

From: Pierre Ostigny <postigny_at_aei.ca>
Date: 1996/05/25

Larry wrote:

> We just migrated to an HP/UX 9000, had to invoke an environmental
> variable called TWO_TASK so that sql*net would be properly used
> by a C program that calls sql*plus. Without this env var the
> process hangs in sqlplus and does not accomplish anything. With
> it properly invoked our background process successfully enters
> and exits sqlplus.
> I would love some info about this env var. We have HP/UX10,
> Oracle7.1.6, SQL*NET2.0. Any knowledge about why a c program
> calling sqlplus would hang without this variable being set? This
> var is mentioned in the installation guide from Oracle, but the
> manual does not explain the use or the need for this variable.
>
> As always, thanks for time and consideration. LarryHi Larry,

        This variable is used by Sql*net and it refer to a database service name in tnsnames.ora for use with the multi-threaded server option. If this variable is not set, a dedicated server is spawned instead of using a shared server. I don't jnow exactly why it is not working if it's not set; it propably have nothing to do with HP-UX 10 nor with C (did you try to invoke sqlplus directly?).

--

Pierre Ostigny
Mailto:postigny_at_aei.ca