Re: SQL*Net v2: tnsnames.ora location under Unix

From: James A. Mumper <jamumper_at_ptes.com>
Date: 1996/05/17

Sabina Denkowska wrote:

>In<ADB6B270966830E37_at_keithd.demon.co.uk> keith_at_keithd.demon.co.uk (Keith Davies) writes:
> >I have searched through my manuals, but it's still a mystery.Where should
> >the TNSNAMES.ORA file be put on a Unix machine?
 snip
> >Keith Davies

> Usually tnsnames.ora resides in the /etc or $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.
> Hope you'll find it

> Bartek Denkowski

I resolved this by putting it in /etc and haivng the SYS ADMIN put the global parameter, "TNS_ADMIN=/etc" in the /etc/profile. That way, every user that logs in will have that set for them. If you use the TNS_ADMIN parameter, you can put the tnsnames.ora file anywhere you want as long the parameter points to it.

--
James A. Mumper
Senior Oracle DBA