Re: Request: Opinion about databases

From: Jim Gordon <jgordon_at_us.DHL.COM>
Date: 1996/05/16

On May 16, 2:56pm, Eliezer Ramm wrote:
} Subject: Request: Opinion about databases
} There is a raging war in the office where I work. We are trying to
} decide on a database platform and no one can agree on which one to
} choose. The database people want Informix. The (non-technical) upper
} management wants an NT-based soulution. The people from Oracle
} advertised that our company already uses their product. It's my job to
} be the buffer between the two parties. HELP!! Please send me your
} feedback. Tell me about your good experiances and bad ones. Do we really
} have to spend $50,000 for a database ?
} We are: An Internet (Web) publishing company, hosting various government
} offices and corporations.
} Our goals for the database are: To offer various information services
} for our different customers. Some have existing, static dtabases on
} different machines. Others have dynamic data that they (or we) should
} update regularly.
} The equipment we have is: A Sparc 20 server running Solaris, and a mixed
} network of PC's running Windows `95 and Sun SParcStations running
} Solaris. We could purchase a NT system if needed
}-- End of excerpt from Eliezer Ramm

I would suggest looking very seriously at the Illustra database. This product ihas now been purchased by Informix and will become part of the Informix Universal Server due out at the end of this year. But it runs on Solaris and on NT and it's ideally suited as a web database. It also links to Informix and Oracle databases.

www.illustra.com for demos and information. The entire site is hosted from an Illustra database.

Cheers - Jim

Jim Gordon                    DHL Airways Inc.             jgordon_at_us.dhl.com
My opinions are my own.  They may vary with time but they remain mine!