Re: ora-1118 (create tablespace)

From: Geoff Ingram <lsgvi02_at_chsrh1.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1996/05/07

Mohan Vijay wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Iam getting this error (ora-1118) while trying to create a tablespace.
> The db_files limit which was 30 was made 40, and the database was
> restarted.The interesting thing is the datafile gets physically created
> in the specified directory but cannot be seen thru dba_tablespaces or
> dba_data_files.This is on an AIX running 7.1.4.
>
> Any ideas ?

oerr ora 1118 01118, 00000, "cannot add any more database files: limit of %s exceeded"

// *Cause:  Obvious
// *Action:

This is not as obvious as the *Cause above implies because Oracle produced a support bulletin explicitly to cover this subject.

You probably need to recreate your controlfile with MAXDATAFILES >30. This value is the real hard limit, not db_files. See Server Admin Guide for how to do this and proceed very carefully.

You might ask why MAXDATAFILES wasnt checked first. So did I.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Mohan
> ou90764_at_deere.com

Regards Geoff Ingram

All my own personal opinions Received on Tue May 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message