Re: IMAGINE: USERS HAVE CHANGED THEIR MINDS

From: Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com>
Date: 1996/05/02

magc_at_vms.cis.pitt.edu wrote:

> One year after conversion, and the users have changed their minds . . .
>
> Our users are no longer satisfied with storing text (names, streets, etc)
> in upper case; they want to store their text in mixed-case.
>
> Please offer suggestions for converting the text strings that are stored
> in upper case to mixed-case strings. Has anyone used 3rd-party products?
> Written in-house scripts? Told the users to take a long walk off a short
> pier?
>
> Please respond directly to me.
>
> Thanks for any help.

You know, that's one of those things that sounds easy and really isn't... I mean, you could just make a routine that takes a string and converts all but the first letter to lower case, but then what about all those "McWhatevers" and "Klaus von Bulows" and so on? I think the correct answer is, "I can do it with unlimited budget and time, but not otherwise." :)

Jason Wells                 Tapestry Computing, Inc.       Voice: 314.344.0066
Senior Software Developer   Email:jason.wells_at_tapestry.com   Fax: 314.344.0990