Re: Help: Got stuck when start SQL*Net

From: Charles Jardine <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/04/29

Tang Wai Shing Wilson wrote:

> Hi Oracle Guru,
>
> I got stuck when my Oracle server (Oracle 7.2.3, SQL*Net 2.2,
> over Sparc20, Solaris 2.4) got reboot. When I start
> the lsnrctl, it stuck with error:
>
> Attempted to listen on: (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=CS.ust.hk)))> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
> SVR4 Error: 80: Name not unique on network

This is because some remnants of the previous listener invocation have survived the reboot. Specifically, you will find some named pipes in the directory /var/tmp/.oracle. (It was /var/tmp/o in earlier releases of SQL*Net.)

You need to arrange that these are deleted if you reboot. There are two ways of doing this.

  1. Get your sysadmin to make /var/tmp a tmpfs filing system by adding a line such as the following to /etc/vfstab:
 swap              -                  /var/tmp tmpfs  -    yes     -

2. Get your sysadmin to alter the file /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES by

   removing the 'exit' at line 50. There are comments just above    this line explaining this.

Solution 1 is easier, but it does disable the editor preserve file mechanism.

Charles Jardine Univ of Cambridge (UK) Computing Service. Received on Mon Apr 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message