Re: [Q] generating html from a database?

From: Tony Toews <ttoews_at_agt.net>
Date: 1996/04/28

dedmunds_at_sfu.ca wrote:

>I'd like input on how easy/difficult it will be to create HTML documents
>from a relational database.

>For example, if one created a product database containing all the standard
>information (name, order number, product description, pricing, etc.), what
>would be the easiest method of producing a separate HTML document for each
>product in the database? Report generators seem to focus on producing
>WYSIWYG output rather than text files containing HTML markup commands.

Quite funny. I'm looking at almost exactly the same thing, Someone mentioned that a product call BestWeb at http://www.bestseller.com/newweb.htm might be an answer.

Follows is my question which I wrote before noticing yours. <grin>

I have a fairly static database containing several hundred records which I'd just like to use to create some web pages in ascii HTML format. IOW I don't want to do any online browsing, searching, etc. I just want to create a disk file.

Can I do this, somehow, using the Access 7 Internet Assistant? My reading seems to indicate that it must only be used online while communicating directly with a browser on the other end. And it'd require a lot of reading the help text, I think, before I got the darned thing going.

For example, our town has a business database. So I'd like to create a bunch of pages, one by business name, another by business type, another by services & products, each with a link to the actual page of the business itself. These pages might have a header page with A - Z on them and then 26 pages each with the appropriate businesses on them, just to simplify web searching.

Another might be community groups.

Rather than have a fancy Access database I'd just like to create a bunch of Web pages which are updated, say, monthly.

Or must I write a bunch of Basic code and create the ASCII text file(s) complete with embedded HTML codes myself. Yuck, that's a lotta work.

Tony
Tony Toews, Independent Computer Consultant Jack of a few computer related trades and master (or certified) of none. Microsoft Access Hints & Tips: Accounting Systems, Winfax Pro, Reports and Books at http://www.agt.net/public/ttoews/accsmstr.htm Received on Sun Apr 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message