Re: HELP! TO_CHAR FUNCTION IN SELECT - Oracle7 on Windows 95

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/26

Harpreet Chawla <chawla_at_niehs.nih.gov> wrote:

>I am doing my first project in Oracle. The statement -

>SELECT TO_CHAR(col_with_date_datatype, 'mm/dd/yy hh24:mi:ss') "Date and
> Time",col_a,col_b FROM table_name WHERE ...;

>is producing too-wide (almost 80 column) "Date and Time" column display.
>SQL*Plus 32 is executing the SQL commands. I have tried

> COLUMN name FORMAT A20

You need to:

SQL> column "Date and Time" format a20

Double Quote the column name in the column command since it is in mixed case with embedded blanks. Normally you would just say column x format a20 but only if the column was really X (in uppercase, no special characters).

>but has no affect on the display format. Similar examples in Oracle
>manuals show proper output. Any help thru posting/e-mail would be
>appreciated?
>Thanks in advance,
>Harpreet

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government

opinions and statements are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri Apr 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message