Re: Publicly accessible database server for interface testing

From: Matthew D. Healy <healy_at_seviche.med.yale.edu>
Date: 1996/04/26

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.960424184843.30552D-100000_at_ucs.orst.edu>, Joachim Zaspel <zaspelj_at_ucs.orst.edu> wrote:

: For a class project I want to write a JAVA application that queries a
: relational database and outputs the result in some form. However, the
: university does not have one database server that students can play
: with. Is there a publicly accessible server somewhere?
:
: I appreciate all comments and suggestions.
:

Why not just set up your own server?

If you have access to a Unix box with a cooperative system admin, there is a fairly good shareware SQL database server (free to academic users) called mSQL that should meet your needs.

Take a look at http://Hughes.com.au/

It's not too difficult to install on most flavors of Unix, but does require root privs to set up.

If you have a _really_ tight budget, you could even use Linux on a PC. I know people who are using it under Linux.

The 'm' of mSQL stands for 'mini' -- it supports a limited subset of SQL commands, but what it does it does well.

Matthew.Healy_at_yale.edu
Center for Medical Informatics, Yale School of Medicine On the WWW, hotlinks are the sincerest form of flattery http://paella.med.yale.edu/~healy/matt_healy.html Received on Fri Apr 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message