Re: Usenet forgery being investigated

From: John Sharman <jayshar_at_norvic.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/04/25

In article <830418832.12915.0_at_acclaim.demon.co.uk>

           Frank_at_acclaim.demon.co.uk "Frank Hendrix" writes:

> John Sharman <jayshar_at_norvic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >What exactly did you have in mind for the charge?
>
> The police suggest in the UK either Computer Misuse Act - penalty up
> to 5 years imprisonment. Alternatively, Race Relations Act - I'm not
> sure of maximum penalty.

Did they do so far as to indicate a section? It's hard to see how personation of a Usenet poster would fit any of the offences under the Act.

> BT advises that under the Telecommunications Act it is an offence to
> transmit messages via the public network which are menacing,
> threatening or intimidating.

Were they any of those things? I didn't see them here in uk.legal, so I don't know.

[Newsgroups: trimmed]

--
Regards,

John Sharman
 |  John Sharman               Internet: jayshar_at_norvic.demon.co.uk   |
 |                             Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1603 452142            |