Re: ORA-3113 errors, suddenly

From: David J. DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/04/19

Hi;

Boy, this sounds familiar. The same thing happened to me about a month ago. After 1.5 years of running Oracle 7.1.4 using the MTS on a Dec Alpha running Digital Unix one day users start getting 03113's. There were about 4 similiar problems on the support notes CD for my platform, unfortunately, none of them had any resolution. Support had me do the following:

	relink the oracle and tnslsnr exe's
	comment out the "sqlnet.expire_time= 0" in my sqlnet.ora file

When I relinked, the tnslsnr exe grew in size, the oracle exe didn't. I asked support why that exe would have grown and they never gave me an answer. The problem did go away, and my belief is that it was the presence of the "sqlnet.expire_time" in my sqlnet.ora that was causing the problem. Now why it became a problem after 1+ years of not being a problem I can only guess.

>After a year of relatively trouble-free Oracle running, first on 7.1.3
>and lately on 7.1.6, I started getting ORA-3113 errors today. I don't know
>if it's relevant, but I recently upgraded my RS/6000 AIX from 3.2.5 to
>4.1.4, and then, just a few days ago, moved all applications and data to a
>new physical server, still running 4.1.4.
>
>I'm getting the errors on both server "batch" processes, and also on client
>PC applications running SQLNET 1. What exactly does this 3113 error mean??
>The error text says "end of file on communications channel" or something.
>Is the Oracle connection being lost? What should I do to fix this, or at
>least to isolate the problem. This is becoming a serious issue quickly.

David DeWolfe
Systems Programmer III
Statewide Office of Information Services University of Alaska
<sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu> Received on Fri Apr 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message