Problems with CHARs in v7.1.6

From: Stuart Hemming <shemminga_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: 1996/04/18

We've just inherited a DB that has a number of tables with a structure of mixed CHARs and VARCHARs. We don't have access to a set of v6 binaries.

What we ant to do is get all of the CHARs converted to VARCHARs. I thought that it would be simply a case of exporting the tables, dropping them and re-importing them with the instance in v6 compatibility mode. However, the software recognises that the export was done by a v7.1.6 version of export and so doesn't do anything to the tables.

At the moment we're faced with creating a schema from the export file, editing it and creating the tables that way. This in itself isn't a difficult job (thank god for perl!) but I'm concerned about the data. As I understand it each, previously CHAR, field will be read in RPAD'd with spaces so I'm still stuck with "fixed length" VARCHARs as it were. Does anyone know a painless way around this problem?

TIA

These are *my* opinions. Please don't make the mistake of believing anybody else is stupid enough to think like this!
 Stuart Hemming                     | shemminga_at_cix.compulink.co.uk
 The Data Base                      | Tel: + 44 (0) 115 925 0005
 Nottingham UK                      | Fax: + 44 (0) 115 929 4668