Re: Legacy Migration

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/17

ia546_at_worldchat.com (Felina Urciuoli) wrote:
>We have mainframe applications currently written in CICS/COBOL
>pointing to VSAM files. We would like a way to migrate the VSAM data
>to an oracle database but still have the legacy applications stay on the
>mainframe for now until we can develop new applications using
>powerbuilder. Is there a way the CICS/COBOL programs can talk to the
>new oracle database that resides on a HP/UX server?

You can access Oracle on any supported platform directly from MVS CICS/COBOL programs. This requires Oracle's MVS Pro*COBOL precompiler and SQL*NET (TCP/IP or APPC/LU6.2) products. These are available as part of an "MVS Client" software bundle that also includes MVS SQL*Loader, which can load an Oracle database on any supported platform from your VSAM files (also using SQL*Net). Your COBOL VSAM applications must be converted to use embedded SQL.

Your local Oracle representative should be able to supply details on these products. If not, please email me.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not