Re: PL/SQL -> Pro*C Function

From: S. F. Lott <slott_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1996/04/15

Barry L. Johnson wrote:

> Is it possible to call a Pro*C function from a PL/SQL Stored Procedure? I
> know it is possible to call a user_exit from a
> SQL*Forms application. I need to do it from a Stored Procedure (or package,
> or trigger), is it possible? For example, if I
> need to call a third party function from a insert trigger.

Not easy to call PRO*C From PL/SQL. PL/SQL is part of the server. It has no ability to bind to software which is not also part of the server.

Two suggestions -- redesign the application so that a PRO*C program calls the PL/SQL, then goes on to do other PRO*C, things. This won't work if your PL/SQL is part of a trigger.

Create a linkage to external processing. DBMS_PIPE is a possibility. I prefer to create a table which has tasks to perform. My triggers insert into this tasks table. A UNIX crontab wakes periodically, finds things in the tasks table and performs those PRO*C functions which are required.

--
S. Lott
Consultant, NE Region