Re: HELP! Cannot do 'connect internal' to do system shutdown

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au>
Date: 1996/04/10

Joseph Greene (jngreene_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu) wrote:
: I am Sys Admin for a company with a few political problems (mostly the
: DBA dislikes me because I push to get things done). How this applies is
: the DBA has hidden all oracle docs and deleted the online ones....nice guy.
: I need to get the automated shutdown running correctly (and the startup too).
: I have the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set. I even have the
: $ORACLE_HOME/bin in my path statement. When I run the auto start script
: as root I get the message 'ORA-01031: insufficient privileges'. I can get to
: the oracle dba account as I have to do this manually to shut it down. What
: permissions/right/privileges do I need to set and how do I set them???

: Thanks in advance.
: Joe Greene

I can't believe an oracle dba being so mean. It's not in our nature at all :-) Anyhow, if you are already a sys admin (with root password), why not submit a job as the dba. If you can do this manually, I don't see why you can't automate it. eg:

        su - oracle -c "/oracle7/home/bin/dbstart mydb"

I'm not 100% sure of the syntax. But you get the idea? dbstart and dbstop are oracle provided scripts.

HTH,
Leng.

--
Leng Kaing