Re: Moving database

From: Vikram Goel <vgoel_at_pts.mot.com>
Date: 1996/04/09

Carlos,

If the new server is a complete clone of the first, just copy all files to the same location as in the master, change the sqlnet files, tnsnames.ora and listener.ora and you should be able to bring the clone db up.

However if the server is not a clone, i.e directory structure changes, you have to do the following:

1) Startup mount your original instance.
2) Use the command " ALTERDATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE"
3) Edit the trace file( will be in your dest path for background_dumps, to create

   a new control file for thenew instance. 4) Move all files to the appropiate locations. Notethese should match the

   edit copy of the orig control file
5) Startup database on the copy server with the pfile=<pfile location name)

Hope this helps.

--
Vikram Goel                                 Motorola email: vgoel_at_pts.mot.com
Sr. Oracle DBA - Consultant

Motorola Info:
Mail Stop 39, Room S1014
1500 Gateway Blvd,