Re: Primary Key of a table

From: Shariq Mansoor <opto2y_at_menudo.uh.edu>
Date: 1996/04/03

Its recommended to use numeric PK generated by Oracle SEQ. Single numeric PK means small index as compare to 5 or 6 Colums. This will optimize your cache hit ratio as more data will be available in the memory so reduces the number of I/0. It will also help you to put small numberic reference columns for your FK reference and the child tables. To avoide confusion while referencing the PK, use CASE TOOLS to generate tables, constrants and references; and hide the PK from users in your applications. I always used numeric PK whenever possible and never had any problem with that design.

Shariq Mansoor
e-mail shariq_at_uh.edu

Niloufar Lamei (lameini_at_arrowsmith.com) wrote:
: Dear Oracle experts,

: I'd like to know if you would recommend a limit on the number of columns
: that
: you can have in your primary key combination. I was told that a primary
: key
: combination of 5 or 6 columns is inefficient and not elegant. But, my
: concern
: right now is to find out if this is true or if it is just a myth. Would
: you
: know of any Oracle documentation that explains the most efficient way of
: composing your primary key combination?

: Thank you for your help,
: Niloufar
: e-mail: niloufar_lamei_at_arrowsmith.com